A warm and hearty dinner recipe… this beef roast is a perfect complete meal you can prepare with minimum effort.
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 2 yellow onions chopped
* 8 cloves garlic smashed with the back of a spoon (or 2 tablespoons minced garlic)
* 1 pound (500 grams) baby potatoes, white or Yukon gold, (you may need to halve them if they are too large)
* 4 large carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
* 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
* 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
* 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
* 1 tablespoon brown sugar
* 2 teaspoons dried thyme
* 2 teaspoons crushed bouillon
* 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
* 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
* 2 tablespoons plain flour (optional -- for a thick gravy)
* 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley, to serve
* Heat oil in a large skillet or pan over high heat. Season roast with a good amount of salt and pepper. Sear on all sides until browned (about 5-6 minutes each side). Transfer roast to the bowl of a 6-quart slow cooker.
* Add the onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots, celery, balsamic, mustard, brown sugar, thyme and bouillon. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix the stock together with the flour and pour into the slow cooker bowl (don't worry about any lumps, they will cook out).
* Cook on low setting for 8 hours, or until meat is tender and falling apart and the vegetables are soft.
* Taste test and add any extra balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, salt or pepper, if needed.
* Slice meat, garnish with parsley and drizzle with gravy.